Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The sex section is shrinking...

About two weeks ago, I ventured into Barnes & Nobles--my favorite hang out spot--in search of some good literature on two of my favorite subjects: slavery/freedom and sex. While I was not disappointed in the History section which had tons of literature on slavery world wide, I was disappointed in their sex section: one shelf, about 30 books, and lots of bare shelf space.

I just knew I was mistaken, and went to a B&N worker to further inquire about the sex section, only to discover that the singular shelf was all Barnes & Nobles "wrote" in terms of the Sexuality section. In other words, that was it. Not only was the Sexuality section only one shelf, but only the front section was filled. The backside of the shelf focused on Sex Addiction.

I'm not sure if it is because I am originally from a more liberal state--Washington--or if it is because Barnes & Nobles has just cut down on the amount of books in their sex section, but I was highly annoyed and disappointed. My disappointment led me to look at what they had available, and the book "The Kosher Sutra" caught my attention.

Having read and been impressed with "Kosher Sex," and being a Christian of sorts, I could not wait to see what the Rabbi had to say about sex and possibly about Kama Sutra practices or Tantric Sex, two sexual ideologies I wished to be more learned in. To my dismay, there was only 1 chapter in the book that differed from the ideas of its predecessor. This chapter discussed how Kabballah and Eastern religions viewed sex based on the connection of the individuals and also the worship of the female body and mind during sex as opposed to its western counterparts version of sex which focused on a more genital sexual experience.

Just as the Eastern religions recognize and worship the feminine in their religious practices, in sex the male should submit himself to and almost worship the more feminine part of sex: foreplay, prolonged desire, teasing, connection and most importantly, that sex for the woman begins in her mind. To miss out on these aspects is to miss out on giving the woman true pleasure. Rabbi Schmuley touches on Tantric Sexual Practices, suggesting that couples tease and arouse each other over a prolonged period of time instead of going from foreplay to sex in one session. Desire deferred makes for better sex for both parties in the long run, according to Schmuley. While the above information and chapter very informative, I found myself returning this book a day or two later. I thought to myself "the other chapters were a repeat of 'Kosher Sex.'"

I would suggest buying this book at a discount or checking it out at the library until a decision is made about whether the book is worth the buy. The hard copy is more expensive, and unfortunately the only version of the book that I've seen available. You can buy the book at a discounted price at websites like (www.amazon.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment