Thursday, October 8, 2009

Who's going to answer the phone?

I don't know what it is, what's in the air, what's goin on; but the phone seems to be my enemy as of late. I am finding that I am not alone either. I shall explain.

I had a cell phone up until about 2 weeks ago. I was sad about getting the phone turned off, but now that the phone IS off, I could care less if I have a phone, let alone a cellular device. In all honestly, I do not have much to say.

My roomy--Tani Shulamit-- has a cell phone that has the most annoying ring on earth: some song from nasal a$$ Rhianna...the live your life song with the hideous yodeling at the beginning. Each time her phone rings, we both sneer at the phone, hiss at it. Sometimes I confess to growling at the phone, HER phone.

My other roomie--Jenn--also had to get rid of her phone. She's never been more peaceful.

Just this past weekend, Tani got a Vonage phone for the house. Sadly, none of us cares to answer the phone half the time. The phone rings, and we get irritated or angry, having to decide which of us is in the mood to pick up the phone.

Something is in the air.

I love to receive emails, comments, messages, but for the life of me I HATE talking on the phone. This coming from the woman who at one point held a 15.5 hour conversation in her phone hay-day.

I think--and tell me how true or false this is--what it comes down to is that drama is repetitive and old. What can one say to me on the phone that one cannot say through email? Same old same old, day in and day out. Simplify.

I wonder how the ladies and gentlemen of the 16th, 17th, and 18th century got along without telephones or cell phones for that matter? They wrote, right? Took days and sometimes weeks to get something through the post. How glorious, mysterious, sexy.

I feel as if the phone allows people to just yammer, hee and haw for hours over the same stuff, but that's just my opinion. I'd rather write.

Sometimes I look at my old cell phone and think to myself how utterly useless they--cell phones--are to me; but afterall, isn't that how the cell phone industry makes its money, by making the cell phone into something the consumer needs and convincing the consumer that he or she needs it? Alarm clock, planner, calendar, camera, clothes accessorize-r, etc,. Soon cell phones will be planning our 3 course meals. Of course, I do not judge the people who HAVE phones. These are just my thoughts.

Oddly enough, I do not feel naked driving around town without a cell phone when before I was so cell phone dependent.

Yup, something is in the air.

2 comments:

  1. Well, even though I have a cell phone and an Ooma phone (which by the way... is much better than Vonage. I used Vonage for a year and a half), I don't really get too many phone calls from people.

    I think if you've got people who call all of the time, then having a phone is a real hassle. If you don't, like me, then it's just used sparingly.

    ReplyDelete